BIM COST BENEFIT IN PUBLIC TENDERS
The development of a methodology for a cost benefit analysis for the use of BIM in public procurement is one of the first deliverables of the Renovation Wave for the construction ecosystem. It aims to build the case for the introduction of BIM in public procurement for individual public projects, by demonstrating costs and benefits from the perspective of public clients.
On this page you will find the handbook “Calculating costs and benefits for the use of Building Information Modeling in public tenders” – methodology handbook and the related work realized to develop a methodology for cost-benefit analysis for the use of BIM in public tenders.
This handbook represents the work carried out by RINA Consulting S.p.A. and its subcontractor, B1P Group S.r.l. in the framework of the service contract GRO-SME-F-101 ‘Methodology for cost-benefit analysis for the use of Building Information Modelling (BIM) in public tenders’. The document reflects the analysis performed during the project and the results obtained. It is conceived as an informative, easy-to-read guide meant to prepare the public stakeholders to apply the model developed for evaluating the costs and benefits of using BIM in public tenders.
The CBA user Handbook is structured in five main chapters:
- Introduction to the topic developed in the following parts and presents the purpose of the handbook to the public entities who are the target group.
- Insights on the present status of BIM adoption in the public sector, through literature research, interviews and an on-line survey.
- Developed cost-benefit analysis (CBA) tool, describing the approach and methodology used to create it and a step-by-step guide to learn how to simulate a cost-benefit analysis using the tool.
- Practical implementation of the CBA tool in six case studies, representing various types of projects (small-scale infrastructures and buildings with differing budgets and covering diverse phases of the life cycle), in order to show validation of the model.
- Conclusions of all the work performed.
An introductory presentation is also available for download.
Download Excel Macro-enabled file (XLSM) in a ZIP container
The work carried out during the project led to the creation of the CBA tool for estimating the costs and benefits of employing BIM in a construction project.
The cost-benefit analysis tool was designed for ease-of-use by people with varying degrees of knowledge and experience of BIM.
The CBA tool calculates most of the indicator values relying on a database created using the data collected in the online questionnaire. The computations of the cost and benefit indicators follow various approaches which were adopted to capture and reflect the specificities of each possible project assessed using the CBA tool. The value of a set of those indicators varies depending on the BIM maturity level considered; both level 1 and 2 scenarios are provided for each project.
A video tutorial is also provided below along with presentation slides from the initial training session.
The CBA Handbook and Tool were first introduced at a special webinar on 31st of May 2021. The following presentation materials were used during the event and are available for download: